Thursday, January 10, 2008

The thing that I thought would never happen.....

You know you just never know WHAT you're gonna find here, folks. I swing from the very sincere and then back to the very shallow like a pendulum.

O.K, remember I told you that the last time I got my hair done, I had her give me bangs? Now, in retrospect, this was probably not the best hair decision I've ever made. But then I saw the whole Bangs are THE style of the season thing, and I figured, ya know...I'd better work it. So that's what I was doing. I was workin' it. ANd the easiest way to wear med-short hair w/ bangs and not look like you're a 4 year old is a headband. Not those plasticy ones, but the ones that sort of look like a scarf tied around your head.

So that's how I was wearing it when the thing that I thought would never happen......the thing that I never even dared to DREAM would happen......HAPPENED.

O.k, O.K....so I run into the Vitamin Shoppe. I grab some multi-vitamins and a jug of protein powder. Some old guy pats me on the shoulder and says, "Good girl, you'll live a long life". But that's not the thing that happened. I finally find the stuff I need the maze of bottles and jars that IS The Vitamin Shoppe. I go up to pay for my stuff and the little freshman-looking guy says, "That is so good. All women should take whey protein, but none of them do." But that's not the thing that happened either.

Is this hard to follow?

It was right then that the charming and beautiful lady next to him said, "Has anyone ever told you that you look like Olivia-Newton John?"

Don't ask me how, but at that exact moment there was this lightening bolt from heaven and somewhere in the distance angels began to sing,just faintly, as a ray of light shone down on me. Only on me.
I struggle to process the words that have just been uttered.

Wide-eyed with mouth gaping in a huge, goofy, big-toothed grin, I throw my hand across my heart and a little too eagerly, exclaim loudly "NOOOO!!!!" Now, of course I immediately wanted to ask if she meant "Grease"- Olivia Newton John....or older Olivia Newton John. But I must have been a little too aggressive in my response, because she sort of wretched back a little. So I let it go...I know what she meant. I just stood there. Not moving. Just grinning.

So,after a little time had passed(or did stand still?), she kind of glanced at the door and said, "Well, you do. You look just like her". Her voice didn't have exactly the same complimentary ring to it as before. But, hey, who am I to say? My new best friend Janet, (from her name tag) can't ALWAYS be so perky and bubbly. Cut her some slack. Seriously.

I gathered my things and made my way out the door. I resisted the overwhelming urge to use my jazz hands and sache' across the parking lot to the suburban singing, "You're The One That I Want oo-oo-oo".

What more can this life hold for me?

7 comments:

andie said...

I'm. so. jealous.

I can't speak. Can barely type.

Congratulations.

I so get it.

Needleroozer said...

You are a riot! And yes, I get it. Totally. But that is because I was once told I looked like Kate Jackson (and I did before this weight gain). Talk about swoon.
And for the record, had it been me, there would have been no stopping the arms and the sashay to the SUV.
You go, Olivia!
LB

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

LOL That's funny. :) I was once told that I look like a young Stevie Nicks. I was flattered beyond believe, but I still don't get it. Maybe it was the poor lighting. :}

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

BELIEF. Not believe. *sigh*

melissa said...

Andie and LB, thanks for getting it. It was a big day for me. And LB....Kate Jackson?...a Charlies Angel?? Woah.....I bow to you.

Kathy Jo, I can totally see the young Stevie Nicks thing. Keep the bangs and Rock On!

J-Lynn said...

ROFL!!! Awesome!

You've inspired a post!

I'd like to see the jazz hands! heehee